Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sweden/Denmark Part I

We were lucky enough once again to piggy-back a vacation with Bill's work. And why not? If Bill gets to go to Stockholm (for work), so should I(for pleasure), and Carter, and Ava, and my mom. And while we are there, let's stay a little longer and go to Denmark as well. What's more exciting than taking a European vacation with the family? Eventful would definitely be the word.

So here's some highlights from our trip:

*Plane Ride- Funny look from flight attendant when I ordered a Bloody Mary. What I wanted to say was, "Look lady, if you want to watch 2 young kids who would love to scream, run, jump, and bounce all over this plane be my guest otherwise give me the d&*# drink so I can stay calm, cool, and patient while I make my kids behave." It worked, because my kids honestly did a pretty good job. Carter was great and Ava only cried for about 1-2 hours. Not bad for a 14hour trip. :)

*Carter and Ava fall asleep AS SOON as the plane touches down in Stockholm. Lovely.

*Tantrums in Stockholm because they have been up for over 24 hrs.

*Carter falling asleep under his chair at breakfast on our 3rd day and puking in the hall just before I can open our door.

*Ava not wanting to stay with me in the Palace we were touring. "No me do it," walking away, stepping off special carpet, and under ropes meant to keep us out of the rooms . I decided to pick her up and carry her outside all the while bribing her that we will soon be out. Carter, of course, wants to come with me too. We make it out to where the line to get in begins and our strollers are parked. That's when the real fun begins. There is no way I can hold Ava AND push 2 strollers. As I proceed to put Ava in her stroller the high pitched screaming ensues. I have to hold her down and strap her in because she won't sit still. Everyone is staring at me, giving me THE look. Carter is doing a great job helping to push a stroller and stay quiet beside me. The screaming continues into the courtyard. In the farthest corner I wait patiently for my mom to finish her tour and come out so we can go. I don't make eye-contact with any of the accusing faces that keep walking by. Oh to be invisible. After an eternity (10 minutes) Ava calms down and my mom comes out. Saved.

*Dinner Boat Cruise - just Bill and I. And a boat full of people from his conference. Fabulous.

*Traditional Swedish dinner - just my mom and I. 3rd people to come in and order LAST people to get our food after it fills up. Great food, worst service.

*Walking 3-4 km (3 adults, 2 strollers w/ kids) ON the 2 lane major roadway with no sidewalk or shoulder to speak of, to go to Egeskov (a fabulous castle). And then because we thought we would miss the train, RUNNING back along same said highway. Turns out MOST people take the buss which goes directly to the castle instead of the train. Wonder why?

*Ava's Bad Day: while sitting in her stroller crossing the street, Grandma, who is pushing her, hits a curb and Ava falls out. While at Egeskov Ava is stung by Stinging Nettle. She has welts up and down her arm. Moments after that, the goat she is trying to hug, hits her in the head with his horns. Needless to say at this point Ava is in tears. As if that's not bad enough combined with our chicken on the highway routine. On the train that night going back to Odense, ( the one we ran to catch) Bill, while playing with Ava, bonked her head on the hard arm rest of the chair. As she is crying she says, "Goat hurt me, plant hurt me, train hurt me too."

No comments: