Thursday, June 07, 2012

I'm Back

Well, it's been a long time since I've been here.  Life got so busy I blinked and years have passed.  After rereading all my old posts I'm sad I haven't done a better job of writing about my children's silly, complicated, endearing, exasperating, humorous, and exhausting lives.  I'm making a point to write at least 3 times a week, hopefully more.  If I write it here, then I must stick to it....right?!  So here goes. 

The last day of school is tomorrow, we have the summer in front of us, and I'm on a mission.  A mission for fun and work.  I know they don't seem to go together, but they both feel so important and valuable.  Here's what's shaping my thoughts:

WORK
Right now I'm reading "Cleaning House A Mom's 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement," by Kay Wills Wyma.  I can't tell you how much I'm LOVING this book.  I totally agree with her, that work creates self worth and self esteem.  My philosophy has always been to raise respectful, independent, and kind children.  However sometimes I lose sight of the independent part and do too much for them.  I still remember the first time each of my children cleaned their rooms by themselves.  They were each about 2 and I stood and told them where the items went, but did not do anything to actually help in the process.  I remember the fits, crying, yelling and how they said they weren't going to do anything.   But once they finally finished (for some it took much longer than others) they had this look of pride on their faces that I will never forget.  Although they don't have set chores, when asked, they help with the laundry (sorting, washing, and folding), emptying the dishwasher, loading the dishwasher, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, helping to cook, pulling weeds and more.  However I feel that I don't ask very much and I'm not very consistent.  So I'm making it one of my goals this summer to expect more from my children by making them work.  Wish me luck!!! 

FUN
One of my friends went to a workshop and the woman leading it asked this question; When was the last time you had fun with your kids?  It's one of those questions I had to ponder.  I mean I feel like I have fun memories, but really what pops into my head is the nagging to get them ready and out the door in the morning, the constant reminding to pick up after themselves, the never ending refereeing of sibling bickering and fighting and the list goes on and on.  My children are only young once and I know how fleeting their youth is.  While I feel it's my job to create the independence I talked about above I do still believe that I want them to have fond and playful memories as well.  So we are calling this The Summer of Fun!  We, the children and I, have brainstormed many fun ideas to do over the summer.  We have a daily jar that we will pull from and a weekend jar as well.  Every day we will do what the card tells us.  Every Monday we will pull from the weekend jar too so that we can do the necessary planing that the weekend task might entail. 

This is going to be one interesting summer.  I'm looking forward to all the memories, hopefully more good than bad, this adventure has to bring.  Wish me Luck!!!

No comments: