Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kids In Charge Day

Saturday was "Kids In Charge Day."   I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but it was Bill's idea therefore it probably was crazy.  There were only 2 rules; the kids all had to agree on what they decided to do and it had to be safe.  They knew a couple of days in advance so they brainstormed some ideas of what we would be eating and what we would be doing.  Interesting stuff, really.  

Here's our day in a nutshell.  Bill took the kids shopping with a limited budget and they returned with food for the day.  Breakfast consisted of donuts and bagels with cream cheese (cream cheese is totally a protein, right?!).  The girls chose to paint their nails while Carter decided to play video games.  Now I really should explain what I mean by video games.  We don't own any new or fancy video game system.  When Bill and I got married 14 years ago one of our wedding presents was a Sony Playstation, I'm talking old school.  What makes it even more old school is the fact that the games we have are the Namco SUPER retro Ms. Pacman, Dig Dug, Pole Position and the like.  Carter thinks it's a special treat to play these video games since there is very little gaming in our house.  Poor Carter. 

Lunch was very classy with Chef Boyardee beef raviolis, fruit salad and root beer floats.  I have to admit I did not partake with the canned raviolis although they are a favorite with my brood.  That would all be thanks to my husband who loves himself some Chef Boyardee.  Really?  Not sure what that says about my cooking that he loves so much, but I digress.  Nickel City was where we headed after our amazing carb filled lunch.  We played some more video games.  Mia amazingly hit the mother lode of tickets by dropping some ball in the Jackpot hole.  They all decided to combine their tickets (the older ones can be so clever) and walked out of there with a water gun each.  I think Mia's broke before we even made it to the car, but whatever.  They gambled away their nickels for some tickets and left with an awesome prize, okay awesome may be on overstatement, but they didn't leave empty handed.  I mean, it's great to spend some money and bring junk home instead, am I right?!

Once we returned home the girls went outside to play on the slip and slide and get in the spa.  Carter continued to play his video games.  He did venture out for awhile, but no sooner had he got wet than a bee landed on his finger and stung him.  Needless to say, he decided he was done playing outside.  The girls, on the other hand, continued to play while daddy proceeded to kill the bees hoovering around them. 

Yakisoba noodles were what we ate for dinner followed up with some apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert.  We ended the night by observing a family of raccoons (a mama and 5 babies) crawl out from under our deck and look for food.  They were super cute!!!  Although according to Bill they would take down Mia in a second.  Apparently he's had a run in with some 'coons in the past. 

Here's what I learned from Kids In Charge Day:  my kids love carbs, sugar and more carbs (alright, I kind of already knew this one),  Carter would be addicted to video games if we let him, although he really is pretty amazing at Ms. Pacman, my kids can actually agree on doing some things, they really enjoyed spending the entire day with us, we really enjoyed enjoyed spending the entire day with them as well.

No comments: